'Elite Intervals' - Pauses and ponderings

What do you do when the last line has been drawn and the final brush stroke has dusted the pastel powder in its final place?
Sigh! What an amazing space it is; a calm satisfaction, a bubbling joy and a sense of being in the blank. (Until you start to analyze your work critically few hours later and bury your head in white sheets again!).

Of late I have been thinking about these spaces - these 'pauses' that occur between each work, these halts which are more or less resting places for the mind. Painting affords me that space more; unlike dance, where I need to be in class or on stage irrespective of my 'mood' or my 'inspiration', the solitary nature of painting affords me the luxury of a little laziness and prolonged pondering during the process.

In fact the new series 'Elite Intervals' is about these pauses - something that is not over yet but has halted, looking left and right to seek out newer inspirations to whet its hunger. The series visually explores the pauses in a poem, the silence between words, the unwritten letters in a moment of spasm in an unexpressed emotion.
It is unwittingly, also slightly touching on the 'queer' experience; whether it is visually apparent or not (which I would not want it to be in fear of it becoming poster-like activism), and also touching on the politics of freedom,expression, and love, and the politics of all these 3 put together that give rise to strange realities and experiences of life.

Time seems to go much slower, even in the 'real' life - much more poised, much more unhurried and unsullied. Is it because of the shift from the energetic performance space to the more isolated, almost island-like painting space? Or because I have retained more of the English sophistication and reserve than I had realized?

Whatever the case, time is an illusion and I am keeping it that way, strapped into my pockets while I ride my horses to the river of visual plethora. Space keeps me entertained quite well; and I hope that once the series is completed, my viewers will be able to travel to that space, to those pauses and halts and hold everything still for a while, and wonder what 'on the go' means and what pauses mean and redefine everything for themselves.
For now, I bask in the strengthening of my assertiveness of what I want my 'artist' self to be dressed up as.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'SOUNDSCAPES' at the National Gallery

Drawn into Daumier's World

Final MA Paper